Saturday, July 15, 2006

About Memphis Horses

About Memphis Horses
Welcome to my blog about my favorite interest and past-time- horses. A little background info. I've grown up in the Memphis area and been involved in primarily the hunter/jumper discipline. Although, I'm currently "expanding" my horizons to the areas of Dressage and Driving-- great fun!

Memphis is a great area for horse enthusiasts! There are numerous boarding and lesson facilities, of many disciplines. Although maybe I should clarify that there are many places to ride and compete near Memphis in outlining suburbs... Germantown, Collierville, Cordova, Eads, and of course good ole' North Mississippi! I'm familiar with the hunter/jumper sector, but there seems to be growing Dressage, Combined Training, Pony Club, Hunt, and Driving interests in the area, which is great. I think the more variety, the better having more opportunities for horse-crazy people like me expand and improve all around horsmanship skills is great!

Having lived in both East, and Middle Tennessee, along with Northwest Florida, I find West Tennessee and North Mississippi to offer a broader range of opportunities in terms of horse disciplines, places to ride, boarding facilities, and events for everyday people. There are numerous hunter/jumper schooling and rated shows to choose from and superb horse show facilities like the Germantown Charity Horse Show Grounds, the Tunica, MS horse show arena, and the Shelby Show Place Arena.

There has always been a big horse community in this area, and the interest is still here and growing! I'd personally like to see more local events outside of just hunter/jumper realm develop. Dressage, Eventing, Driving.... you name it. I think the demand is here, but it would be interesting to find out if others agree?


No comments: